Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Lord's Acre Sale

Every year just before Thanksgiving, my husband's Grandparent's church has a "Lord's Acre Sale".  The local community makes hand crafted items and DIY crafts and donates them to the Church.  The Church then auctions the items to make money for the Church.  The Church was built in the early 1920's and is the Church for a very small community, so the money mainly goes to repairs and up keeping.  Popular items include handmade quilts, preserves and jellies (my favorite is Apple Butter) made from the locally grown fruits, pies, and handmade items such as tables, chairs, and benches.  Some also purchase items made at local craft fairs to include in the auction - jewelry, stained glass, picture frames, etc.  To be honest with you, every year I've gone, I've donated something I've purchased at one of the local craft fairs.  For instance, last year I donated an Oklahoma State University Pistol Pete painting.  People from surrounding communities join in, and the community is able to raise several thousand dollars to help the Church.

This year I have decided to get a little crafty and donate something I've personally made.  My thought right now is to enlarge a picture I have taken in the small town and then frame it.  I've got three of my favorite photos from the small farming town, and would love some help on deciding which one would be the most popular.  Please vote for your favorite to help me decide!

The local Grain Bins at Sunset

The local Church

A local sunset in winter


I'm also open to suggestions of something crafty I can do with a photo or two to donate.

I can honestly say it is one of my favorite times of the year.  I actually use several work vacation days to make sure I am home for it...it is sooooooo much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment